For the second year in a row, I will attend the ACI's 17th National Conference on Litigating Disability Insurance Claims. This year's conference will be held at The Union League in Philadelphia, PA. This is the only long term disability insurance law seminar where plaintiff and defense lawyers meet to discuss recent legal developments in ERISA law.
This event presents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to meet with colleagues --and opponents-- in a setting outside of our offices and share practical tips, strategies and solutions to the issues that we face everyday.
The conference presents a wide variety of panelists that includes renowned judges, prominent plaintiff and defense attorneys, medical experts and insurance claims professionals. Some of the companies who we regularly fight are scheduled to participate: The Hartford, CIGNA, Unum, Prudential, The Standard and more.
Some of the major points that will be discussed in this conference include:
- The battle over the standard of review: "de novo vs. arbitrary and capricious".
- Dealing with IME evaluations, treating physicians opinions and Functional Capacity Evaluations.
- Tackling the challenges of mental health claims.
- Strategies and practice tips for successful medication.
- Challenging/defending surveillance evidence.
- Recovery of attorney's fees in ERISA cases.
- Analysis of Vocational issues in disability insurance claims.